Friday, January 16, 2015

My heart



In less than a month, I'll be returning to Kenya.  It was only 3 years ago that I was preparing for my first trip to Migori.  That trip brought a lot of firsts:  I had never been to Africa, never traveled that far away from home.  I had never volunteered as a nurse anesthetist.  I was full of hope, excitement, nerves and anticipation.  What would the reception of our presence be by the locals?  What kind of equipment would we be working with, what drugs would be available - would I be able to provide anesthesia safely?  Where would I sleep at night?  What would be the condition of the restrooms?  I worried about safety.  Worried about getting sick so far from home.  Wondered what individuals would make up our team and how we would work together as a team with only just meeting.  How would I be able to communicate effectively to my patients when we speak different languages?  So many unknowns and yet, somewhere in my gut, I knew I had to go.  Intuition plays a huge role in my life and the paths I choose to take.  My gut said "GO".  So glad I listened.

Preparation for that trip meant getting 7 immunizations (ouch!), filling multiple preventative prescriptions, buying personal and anesthesia supplies, stocking up on bug repellant, sunscreen and OTC medications to treat anything I could possibly catch "in the bush".  I packed enough protein bars, nuts, granola and other snacks to keep me fat and happy (really - I could've fed a 5 person family for a month with all the food I took) in case I couldn't stomach the meals provided.  I searched endlessly online for articles and blogs on providing anesthesia in third-world countries, peppered our team leader with countless questions, and asked everyone I knew if they had ever done similar work.

It is incredible to look back and think about that trip.  Those 10 days changed my life, changed my perspective on the world and my role in it.  I left my heart in Kenya February 2012.  I have been blessed to continue this work and have visited my heart 5 times since.  Each time I go, it gets harder to leave.  I have formed strong relationships with our Kenyan staff and our sweet orphans.  I am a proud "Mama" to two beautiful, bright twin girls.  I have lasting friendships with the individuals on each team I have served.  I keep trying to figure out a way that I can stay for longer periods of time, but for now, am visiting when I can, for however long my job and finances allow.

Thank you all for you joining me on my journey.  I could not do it without the love and support of my family and friends.  





No comments:

Post a Comment